Thursday, September 17, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Books with Mental Health/Illness

Top 5 Wednesdays was created by gingerreadsLainey and there is a Goodreads group where you can find a list of participants as well as Top 5 Wednesday topics.


I'm a day late this time, but I didn't have a chance to post my Top 5 Wednesday yesterday. So here you have it today. This week's topic is "Books with Mental Health/Illness" and I really wanted to write about this since it's a topic I like reading about.


"Still Alice" by Lisa Genova
This is one of my favorite books about any kind of disease. It's a really powerful, emotional and heart-breaking read. The book deals with the Alzheimer's disease and what I probably liked the most about it is that it's told from the POV of the woman who is ill so the reader can see what's she's going through and feel for her.
If you haven't read this book yet, definitely give it a go.

"House Rules" by  Jodi Picoult
Jodi Picoult is a wonderful author. Her books are really well written and really informative. This is one of my favorite works by her and it's dealing with the Asperger syndrome. Not as heart-breaking as my previous pick, but for me a really thought-provoking read.

"Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck
I love Lennie's character in this book. He cant't really be blamed for his actions and at least I can't hate him for them. John Steinbeck did a really great job making people feel compassion for his "bad" character.

"Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami
Murakami's books are not for everybody. I like his writing, but I can't say I love all of his works because most of them are really bizarre - like a lot of Japanese works actually. This book is one of my favorites and it's really sad that I can't say anything more about it...because there is no way for me to describe any of his works.

If you follow me you definitely saw this coming. It's one of my all time favorite non-fiction books. I guess it won't be loved by everyone, but if you are interested in reading a non-fiction book about mental illness, this is definitely a great one to choose.

Those were my top 5 books with mental illness. Leave a comment if you have any recommendations about books dealing with this topic and also, if you have Top 5 Wednesday blog post I would love to check it out :)

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this list! A different take on mental illness to just the usual depression and anxiety etc! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete