Monday, November 30, 2015

Book Review: "Urban Gothic" by Brian Keene


Genre: Horror
Source: Library

"When their car broke down in a dangerous neighborhood of the inner city, Kerri and her friends thought they would find shelter in the old dark row house. They thought it was abandoned. They thought they would be safe there until morning. They were wrong on all counts. The residents of the row house live in the cellar and rarely come out in the light of day. They're far worse than anything on the streets outside. And they don't like intruders. Before the sun comes up, Kerri and her friends will fight for their very lives... though death is only part of their nightmare." - Goodreads

After reading two "horror" novels this month, that were huge disappointments, I was in a deep need for real horror story. Now, this book was not the horror I had in mind, but it did the job. May be some of you've watched some scary movies like "The Hills Have Eyes" or "Jeepers Creepers". Horror movies with a lot of gory, Horror movies with a lot of gory, emptying-your-stomach scenes... This book is like those movies, that need a sign
Due to the utterly descriptive and vivid writing, every scene was not really hard to imagine, which led to me being disgusted throughout almost the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I really liked this read, but, although I love horrors, some parts of this book were too much even for me. If this book was ever to become a movie, I would definitely never watch it (and if you read the book, you will know why).

Now, let's move on to the characters in this book, since they are the reason I gave this book one star less. The problem with the characters was that every single time, when the author tries to give them some personality or backstory, he failed. There were a couple of times when the characters thought - "I've been through serious hardship throughout my life, so I will overcome this one, too" - but you are never told what this hardship was, which kind of annoyed me.

If you love gore and don't mind flying brains and chopped off body parts, than this book is for you. If not, better stay away from it.

If you've read this book and have similar books to recommend to me, please share them with me in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment