Saturday, August 29, 2015

Book Review: “The Detainee” by Peter Liney


Genre: Dystopia
Source: Library

"The Island is hopelessness. The Island is death. And it is to this place that all the elderly and infirm are shipped, the scapegoats for the collapse of society. There’s no escape, not from the punishment satellites that deliver instant judgement for any crime—including trying to get off the Island—and not from the demons that come on foggy nights, when the satellites are all but blind.

But when one of the Island’s inhabitants, aging "Big Guy" Clancy, finds a network of tunnels beneath the waste, there is suddenly hope, for love, for escape . . . and for the chance to fight back. " - Goodreads

I was wondering if I should do a review of this book since if I wanted it to be decent I had to give away most of the story. I finally decided to make one, but if you have not read the book and don’t want to be spoiled…please, don’t read further. Just know this book was amazing.
I must say that this book had a really interesting and original plot. The story was written so well that you can imagine yourself being at that stinking horrible place, where all the old and not wanted people live. And every foggy night, when the old people are scared to leave there house, while even staying inside is not very safe, you can feel the tension and the horror.

Another good thing about the book is the characters. I have never read a dystopian novel where the main character is an adult, but in this one our protagonist is a sixty-something years old man. All of the main characters are well introduced and really interesting and have a not very pleasant past to deal with. Not that the future is looking any good, either.

The villains of the story are some drugged kids that go around killing people with such a pleasure…it’s just awesome…I have never read a story where kids are represented in such a way…I just loved it…and the good thing is that you can’t even blame the kids for doing such things because they are in the zone…

There is some romance in the book…and that is the only thing that I’m not a fan of. It’s just wrong. If you’ve read the book I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. But except that minor flaw, the book is so good.

If you’ve read it, share your thoughts on it in the comments. I’ll be happy to see what other people think about this book :)

No comments:

Post a Comment