Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Diverse Reading 101

Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted by the Broke and the Bookish.


Today the topic is "Top Ten Books That Would Be On Your Syllabus If You Taught X 101". I strongly believe that people should give a chance to every possible genre. You may not like some of them, but you'll never know utill you try. So, I choose my theme to be Diverse Reading 101 and I will include here 2 books of 5 different genres.

My first genre is HORROR:


"Dracula" by Bram Stoker and "Dracula the Un-Dead" by Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt
I love both of this books. They are not as scary as I thought they would be, but they are both well written and very captivating. I need more books about Dracula in my life so if you have any suggestions, leave them in the comments!

I love Lovecraft's wrtiting. His books are one of the few that can scare me...I mean really scare me. Everything he writes is so vivid, it's like playing the game "Call of Cthulhu" again. Pure horror. Give it a try if you haven't.

My second genre is HISTORICAL FICTION:


"The Cousins' War" series by Philippa Gregory
I love learning about the history of the different countries and nations but I don't like reading history books, so historical fiction novels are really good for me. And this series is the one I like the most so far. I love Philippa Gregory's writing and I like that her books are really easy to read and I actually learn a lot by reading them. Of course, I don't know how historically accurate are they, but I still love them.

"Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay
This is one of my favorite books about the Holocaust. It was so heartbreaking that I sobbed like a little kid throughout the whole book.

My third genre is MYSTERY/THRILLER:


"24/7" by Jim Brown
This is a really cool book in which the characters are part of a TV show like "Surviver", but the diference is that in this book during the "game" people actually die...and their deaths are really horrible...and not very pretty...

"Shibumi" by Trevanian and "Satori" by Don Winslow
I have actually read only the first one but I expect the second one to be amazing as well...so don't fail me "Satori". The books are about this awesome assassin, called Nicholai Hel. He is a genius and his way of killing people has no match.

My fourth genre is CONTEMPORARY:


"Please, Look After Mother" by Kyung-Sook Shin
This is another heartbreaking read and just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. If you haven't read it, fix this now because I feel that this book should be read by everyone and more importantly will be liked by everyone.

"Norwegian Wood" by Haruki Murakami
I wish I could recommend this book to everyone...but I can't. Whoever has read Murakami's works knows that his writing style is really weird and it's just not for everyone. Some people love it, others hate it. There are some of his books that are not even for me like "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World". But "Norwegian Wood" is one of my favorites and I actually think it's one of the perfect works to begin with if you've never read Murakami before.

My fifth and final genre is NON-FICTION:


"Desert Flower" by Waris Dirie
You can see that I love tear-jerkers and this is an autobiography which makes it even more difficult to read. But people should read more books like this one because it opens your eyes for the sufferings which a lot of people have to deal with.

"The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls
This is a memoir and again, not a very happy one. The book deals with poverty and one very dysfunctional family with a father, who likes his alcohol, and a mother, who is not very responsible. Honestly, I don't know how the children managed to survive...I know I wouldn't be able to...

These were my top ten diverse reading books. Tell me what you think about my picks in the comments - have you read them? Are they new for you? - and if you have a blog post about this topic share a link and I'll be happy to read it :)

8 comments:

  1. I'm so loving this week's theme - everyone's posts are so fun! Great list!! I love how you broke it down into different categories for diversity in reading :)
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. It's nice to see what everyone is coming up with. I own both Dracula books, but haven't read one yet. Would like to get to it before Halloween. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice selections! I love to read a little of everything. Here's my TTT list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these, but quite a few of them are on my TBR. I really like the topic you picked :)

    My list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all awesome in my opinion so definitely give them a chance :)

      Delete
  5. Great picks! I love how you broke down this week's theme!

    Check out my TTT and my Read This? Watch This! Tag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely need this class :) I tend to steer toward YA contemporary all the time. I did love The Glass Castle. And I read Murakami's book about his love of writing and running - What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. I enjoyed that one. Great list!
    My link is http://lesliehauser.com/2015/08/25/top-ten-tuesday-ya-contemporary-101-syllabus/

    ReplyDelete