Wednesday, July 1, 2015

June Wrap Up

For the month of June I managed to read a total of 16 books. I'm really surprised by myself o.O


"The End of Everything" by Megan Abbott

Genre: Mystery
This was not the best book to start the month with, but oh well...It was some kind of modern version of "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov and I did not like it very much. The characters were annoyingly stupid and the story itself was not very well written.

"A Dance of Mirrors" ("Shadowdance" #3) by David Dalglish

Genre: Fantasy
Although it's not my favorite book in the series "A Dance of Mirrors" was a great read for me. There was character development and some really unexpected twists. I'm looking forward to reading the next book...hopefully soon.

"Shinju" ("Sano Ichiro" #1) by Laura Joh Rowland

Genre: Mystery
Although it combines two of my favorite things - mystery novels and Japan related books, I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. May be it was the fact that I knew almost at the beginnig who the killer was which disappointed me. Nevertheless I will continue with the series. Hopefully the next books will be better.

"The Lost Wife" by Alyson Richman

Genre: Historical Fiction
I really enjoy reading Alyson Richman's books. They are so heartbreaking that I cried while reading every one of them. This one in particular is with a very heavy subject - the Holocaust, and it's so beautifully written and so real.

"Hush, Hush" ("Hush, Hush" #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick

Genre: Paranormal Romance
I've been wanting to read this book for so long but I've read really mixed reviews about this. Sadly I did not like the book. The story is something already seen - not original and not written properly, the characters were all not likeable at all...I'm really sorry but it was just not my cup of tea.


"Divergent" series by Veronica Roth

Genre: Dystopia
I know a lot of people like this series, but I just couldn't. The story and the character development went downhill after the first book.



Genre: Humor
This is a book full of quotes by my favorite character in "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. Honestly, I excpected it to be more fun than it actually was.

"07-Ghost" Volume 1 & 2 by Yuki Amemiya

Genre: Manga
"07-Ghost" is probably my favorite anime of all time and sadly it's not finished. So, I decided to start reading the manga because I like the story and the characters (even the bad ones) and I want to know what happens. Hopefully they will make anime continuation...

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley

Genre: Classics
I really liked the story of this book but sadly the writing style killed it for me. The characters were all very, very strange and I can't say I liked any of them.


"The Drowned Cities" ("Ship Breaker" #2) by Paolo Bacigalupi

Genre: Dystopia
Sadly, the main problem I had with this book was the language barrier. I do know English, but this book had so many compicated words that sometimes I did not know what was happening. I was also not so fond of the characters, especially Mahlia - she was just not thinking at all about the consequences of her actions.

"Quattrocento" by Susana Fortes

Genre: Historical Thriller
Well, this had to be a historical thriller and I like thrillers. The problem is that in this book nothing was happening. I was constantly waiting for some action and nothing was given to me so I was very, very disappointed. Gave additional star to this book only because of the pretty cover (which was actually the main reason I bought this book - stupid me).

"City of Heavenly Fire" by Cassandra Clare - Book 6 in "The Mortal Instruments" series

Genre: Paranormal
May be I'm the only one who didn't like "The Mortal Instruments" series. I did like some of the chracters (Jace and Clary not beeing in this list) and the premise of the book. I really think the series should have ended long time ago (like with book 3 for example), but I managed to read all six of the books so now I can leave them in the past.

Please leave a comment if you've read any of this books and what's your opinion about them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment